Brigg Amateur Social Historians (BASH)
Tue 1st Apr '14 - "The Construction and Opening of Immingham Docks"
The BASH April meeting was a fascinating illustrated talk entitled "The Construction and Opening of Immingham Docks" by well known speaker Brian Peeps. He described the "Tin Town" which was built for the construction workers to live on site. It was huts made of corrugated iron and painted cream, but they also had their own church, school and post office (with the post mark "Humberville"). The first sod of turf was turned by Lady Henderson on 12th of July 1906, and 6 years later, on the 22nd July 1912, the docks were officially opened by King George and Queen Mary. On the same day chairman of the docks, Sam Fay, was knighted by the King. Between the first and second world wars cruises to such places as Norway and Sweden and were very popular and many of the ships sailed from these docks, Interestingly some 400 years earlier a number of ships left nearby these docks also carrying a human cargo, the Pilgrim Fathers, to the New World and away from persecution in this country. There is now a stone memorial marking the actual spot from which they fled.
(Meeting report by Josie Webb)
Photograph from April 1st 2014 BASH meeting: "The Construction and Opening of Immingham Docks". Left to right: Chris Witty (BASH committee), Brian Peeps (speaker), Stuart Melton (BASH committee).
Thu 31st Oct '13 - "HALLOWEEN GHOST WALK"
Three groups started from The White Horse Pub on BASH Brigg Halloween Ghost Walk. About 80 people came on the walk to listen to the many tales of Brigg's haunted past. BASH also says a big "Thank You" to Richard and Val for all their hard work in decorating the pub - it was brilliant!
Report by Josie Webb
Tue 25th Sep '12 - The B.A.S.H AGM
We would like to thank every one who has supported us, and also all our sponsors who keep us going, without them BASH would find it hard to continue. Josie Webb chairman.
ELECTION OF NEW COMMITTEE: